Hotel Sky - Cape Town, Foreshore
Located in the coveted City Bowl of Cape Town near the International Conference Centre. The hotel's strategic location ensures breathtaking panoramic views of the City Bowl. To convert the building from commercial to hospitality use, Saint-Gobain's lightweight drywall solutions proved to be the most efficient and effective solution due to foundation cost savings as well as reduce build time on projects. Saint-Gobain’s drywall solutions contributed to the successful build of the hotel, with the systems meeting requirements of acoustic comfort, fire resistant performance and moisture resistant requirements. Given the popularity of micro apartments and the value of space in Cape CBD, the majority of the 540 units were only〖 20 𝑚〗^2 and required extensive sound insulation between them.
The project required durable and lightweight construction materials to save on foundation slab reinforcement costs. Saint-Gobain’s drywall and ceiling system solutions were utilised throughout the hotel.
Hotel accommodation by nature accommodates wet areas such as bathrooms which required moisture resistant construction materials.
SANS 10400-Part T Fire Legislation stipulates a 1-hour fire rating between rooms for guest safety. The non-combustible Gyproc and Isover systems are tested and approved to SANS 10177 Part 5.
Saint-Gobain Africa Main Project Solutions
- Acoustic comfort ceilings and walls to minimise unwanted external and inter-room sounds
- Thermal comfort ceilings and walls for energy efficient indoor temperature comfort control
- Lightweight solutions to save on waste management and foundation costs for the building
- Dry build solutions to minimise water consumption during the build
Saint-Gobain Africa Solutions
- RhinoBoard® FireStop® dB plasterboard
- RhinoBoard® MoistureResistant plasterboard supported by a Gypframe® UltraSTEEL® stud and track system to comply with fire safety requirements.
- The drywall system was completed with the luxurious RhinoLite® CreteStone® skimmed plaster finish, resulting in smooth walls.
- Cavitybatt™ glasswool acoustic and thermal insulation installed within the drywall system.
“Good upfront support and guidance, and good to have technical assistance onsite to ensure that the installation is correct. Saint-Gobain dry-walling was the best solution! Fast, versatile, easy! Time saver and good quality of finish ”
Kean Pearce – Vivid Architects